Pages

26 May 2010

Visiting Porvoo, part 1










The girls didn't have school on Friday 14.5.. We went to Porvoo to visit my mother and do the tourist thing. Lovely sunshine and not a lot of people. We did a little shopping, had ice-cream and walked around a bit. We also went to the Cathedral. My husband and I were married in this church.

The roof of the Cathedral is made of tarred shakes / shingles. The roof was completely destroyed in a fire on 29.5.2006 when a 18 year old put it on fire on purpose. Luckily the fire didn't spread to the rest of the Old Town, which is mostly built of wood. The inner roof didn't collapse either, but the interior of the Cathedral suffered a lot of damage from smoke and water. The restoration lasted for over two years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I will return your visit (if I haven't visited you already), but please be patient. I might not be able to do so until the weekend. Take care!